As exams and assignments come in thick and
fast, now is a great time to think about how you revise and use your time. In
this article, I will be going through some strategies you can try to help you
work more efficiently.
Working in 2 to 3 undistracted blocks a day
is incredibly helpful. I try to work for 1.5 to 2 hours in each block, any more
and I find myself getting distracted really easily. I’d recommend finding a
quiet place where you know you won’t be disturbed and working there for each
block. Of course, some people work best with others so you could also try having
these time blocks with friends.
Another thing to bear in mind when revising
is what time of day you work best. For me, I feel on top of my game between 11am-3pm,
then find I get quite tired between 3-6pm, and then feel ready to work again
between 6-9pm. With this in mind, I try to schedule my blocks of work between
these hours. Of course, you may have commitments on certain days that prevent
you from working in the times you work best - but even just being aware of them
is beneficial!
That brings me on to balancing commitments.
The University has so many opportunities to get involved in things beyond a law
degree. There are numerous sports clubs, societies, volunteering opportunities,
and pro bono clinics to get involved with. These things are great to be a part
of, not only do they give you something to chat to future employers about, but
they can help your mind focus on something completely different when it’s not
revising.
I’d really recommend thinking about what is
important to you; what makes you joyful when you do it or an a particular thing
you want to excel at, and continue to prioritise that while at Uni. It is such
a unique period of life, where you have time and energy you might not have
later on in life. It’s also great for your well-being, helping your mind
remember that exams aren’t the be-all and end-all.
In the next article, I’ll go through some
strategies for dealing with burnout, and how to rest well. If you’d like more
tips on how to study well, I’ve linked below some slides to a presentation that
the Wellbeing Ambassadors have put together. I’ve also linked below the
University’s well-being support service if you’re feeling really stressed about
this period of the year.
By Todd Langstaff
Well-being Ambassador for the School of Law
WellbeingAmbassador presentation slides.
Universitysupport service.